8/5/07

Buddhist prose

The prose of some buddhist writings has quite a systematic yet mystical feel to it. When defining concepts, it makes sure to point out not just when a property holds, but that it doesn't hold the opposite property at the same time. If I were to use it in conversation, I would say something like, "The sandwich is good, not bad. The bread is soft, not hard." Observe a real example:

"It's through living together that a person's virtue may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning."

Also, it is often so mechanical in going through different situations as to use the same wording repeatedly. For example, read this passage or this one.

I love how the passages begin quizzically with reference to what will be said, then says it, then concludes. It is as if I tell my parents, "I am going to drive there. Where? The beach. And that is where I am going to drive."